Professional Engineer (PE) licensure is required to offer engineering services to the public throughout the United States. The National Council of Examiners
for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) supports licensure by developing and making available license examinations. SNAME encourages and supports licensure.
In an effort to support those naval architects, marine and ocean engineers who are preparing to take the Professional Engineer Principles and Practice Examination in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, the Society has developed this Distance Learning course that provides a review of the 4 Subject Areas with 21 sub-groups included in the NAME Examination Specification. The Subject Area subject matter has been structured into 11 distinct Subject Units.
The course is given by 10 instructors during the period from January through March, with a sample examination. This leaves two to three weeks for the students to complete their preparations before the April examination date. Early registration is also available for those who wish to start early so as to extend their study time.
PERC is only available to members.
- Initial Sign-Up for members wishing to take the course.
- Login for registered course participants (this is different from a member's SNAME.org login).
- Once you create a login and password, please register for PERC.
- You will receive a notification with the Study Guide once your payment is processed and account validated. Note: You will not be immediately charged when entering your payment information. This is handled by the SNAME staff.
To register for the site that administers PERC, you must sign up to become a member. (if you haven’t already done so)
- Visit https://www.snamelearning.org and click the "sign up" link in the upper right corner.
- Click on the "I Agree" button.
- Choose your employer and click "Proceed".
- Complete the Required Information form and click "Sign Up".
- A confirmation page will display the username and email address that the registrant’s login information was sent to.
- Open the sign-up confirmation email to access the username and auto-generated password needed to log in to the snamelearning.org website.
To Register for PERC:
- Visit https://www.snamelearning.organd click the "log in" link in the upper-right portion of the screen to go to the login page.
- Enter your username and password, then click "Log In”.
- Once logged in, click the "Course Registration" link in the upper middle portion of the page.
- Click the "I AGREE" button to agree to the SNAMEeLearning Center Policies and go to the next page.
- Choose a course from the "Course" dropdown box, choose your name from the first "Students" dropdown box, enter payer information, and click "Continue With Course Registration".
- Choose a payment method, enter payment information, and then click "Finalize Registration".
- The confirmation page will then provide links to the student instructions and to the support email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PE Exam Information
PE Licensure Introduction
PE Licensure Exam Specifications
Recommended Reference Texts