REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES
1. Applications must be received prior to 1 February with all supporting documentation by 15 February.
2. SNAME membership is required to be in place for a minimum of four (4) months prior to the application due date (i.e. by 1 October). This is required by all scholarships except for The Alan C. McClure Scholarship, which can be awarded to applicants whose membership in SNAME can be documented for a minimum of two (2) years prior to the application due date, nominally 15 February of the Scholarship application year.
3. ALL Scholarships can only be awarded to students who will receive their master’s degree after 1 September of the calendar year in which they are applying for their scholarship.
4. The Arthur J. Haskell Scholarship can be awarded to applicants that look to pursue graduate studies in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture and/or Ocean Engineering.
5. The Alan C. McClure Scholarship can be awarded for study ONLY in the fields of naval architecture, marine engineering and ocean engineering.
6. The David A. O’Neil Scholarship can be awarded to applicants that look to pursue full-time graduate studies in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture and/or Ocean Engineering.
7. The John V. Wehausen Scholarship can be awarded to applicants that preferably express an interest in the study of ship hydrodynamics and wave theory, though that is not a requirement.
8. The Walter M. and Doris H. Maclean Scholarship can be awarded to applicants that look to pursue studies in Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Ocean Engineering, and related subject areas. If applicants already have a Master of Engineering degree and wish to continue graduate study of Ship and Offshore Structures, they would remain eligible for consideration.
9. Master holders can only be eligible for The Walter M. and Doris H. Maclean Scholarship, and then only if they wish to continue graduate study of Ship and Offshore Structures.
10. Graduate scholarships can be awarded to an individual only once.
11. Although applicants are not required to provide GRE scores, they will be at a disadvantage if they do not do so, regardless of graduate school admission requirements. GRE scores count as much as 15% of the application ranking for award consideration.
12. Selection is in April based upon Scholarships Committee recommendations and Executive Committee approval.
13. Scholarship funds may be used for student tuition, textbooks, academic fees, or other academic related expenses for study and research.
14. Supporting documents may be submitted along with the online application or be emailed separately at email@example.com.
SNAME can award scholarships of up to $20,000 for one year of study.
SNAME can award up to 10 named awards annually designated as:
- The Arthur J. Haskell Scholarship
- The William M. Kennedy Scholarship
- The Wilbur N. Landers Scholarship
- The Chester L. Long Scholarship
- The Walter M. and Doris H. Maclean Scholarship
- The Alan C. McClure Scholarship
- The David A. O’Neil Scholarship
- The Tommy L. Richards Scholarship
- The Frederick H. Todd Scholarship
- The John V. Wehausen Scholarship