2020 JOHN W. DAVIES MEMORIAL AWARD - OPEN
Due to the special circumstances resulting from COVID-19, including university closures, the deadline for applications for the 2020 award has been extended to November 20, 2020.
In 2020, the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arctic Section (SNAME AS) Is pleased to offer one scholarship award of C$3000 in memory of John W. Davies, a former Chair of the Section.
See the award recipients to 2019.
Eligibility and Research Areas: The competition is open to any full time graduate student at a recognized University in Canada or the US State of Alaska whose research will assist in providing solutions to problems encountered in the Arctic or in cold ocean environments. Specifically the research may be in the areas of:
- marine transportation,
- development of offshore resources,
- eco-systems interaction with development of Arctic/cold ocean resources,
- climate change impact in marine cold regions, or
- special areas of research for Arctic/cold ocean environments.
The Selection Panel will require:
- An abstract of approximately 500 words is to be submitted explaining the objectives of the research being undertaken, progress to date, and how this research is to be applied in the Arctic or to cold ocean environments. Applicants are also encouraged to describe how their research is placed within the context of broader Arctic issues.
- a resume,
- a transcript of marks, sent by the university directly to the Awards Committee (for the most recent degree completed and degree in progress), and
- three letters of reference, two of which being former or current professors, to be sent by the referees directly to the Awards Committee.
The deadline for applications is midnight Mountain Standard Time on Friday, November 20, 2020
Applications will be accepted by email. Complete applications must be received by the deadline.
This scholarship will be awarded once the review process is complete.
Inquiries and applications should be sent by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arctic Section Awards Committee
PO Box 61105, Kensington RPO
Calgary, Alberta T2N 4S6
Attn: Azmy Aboulazm, PhD, Awards Committee Chair