The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Arctic Section is pleased to offer a scholarship award of C$3000 in memory of John W. Davies, a former Chair of the Section.
The competition is open to any full time graduate student at a recognized University in Canada or the US State of Alaska whose research will assist in providing solutions to problems encountered in the Arctic or in cold ocean environments. Specifically the research may be in the areas of:
1) marine transportation,
2) exploitation of offshore resources,
3) eco-systems that impact or may impact the exploitation of Arctic/cold ocean resources, or
4) special areas of research for Arctic/cold ocean environments.
An abstract of approximately 500 words explaining the objectives of the research being undertaken, progress to date, and how this research is to be applied in the Arctic or to cold ocean environments is to be submitted. Applicants are also encouraged to describe how their research is placed within the context of broader Arctic issues.
In addition, the selection panel will require:
1) a resume,
2) a transcript of marks, sent by the university directly to the Awards Committee (for the most recent degree completed and degree in progress), and
3) three letters of reference, two of which being former or current professors, to be sent by the referees directly to the Awards Committee.
The deadline for applications is the close of business, local Calgary time, Friday 26 June, 2015.
Applications should be sent to:
Arctic Section Awards Committee
PO Box 63090, Stadium RPO
Calgary, Alberta T2N 4S5
Attn: Azmy Aboulazm, Arctic Section Chair