Student Debate Contest
Form your teams, participate in this event for some unforgettable experiences
and for the chance to win the BIG PRIZE.
SNAME NTUA Greek Student Section is the organizer of the first Student Debate Contest at SOME 2018 on the 21st March.
Student-members (as teams or individuals) are requested to register their participation here by 4th February
Some argue that shipping should heavily invest in innovative technologies and alternative fuels, while others believe that it should continue to be an efficient and competitive industry by offsetting its obligations to other sectors where green transition can be much easier.
On the basis of the above statement select one for the following solutions, argue over its appropriateness for shipping, and prove why this can optimize the benefits for all stakeholders.
1. Scrubber and HFO
2. MGO and LSFO
3. LNG and other gases
4. Carbon neutral Fuels – Hydrogen – Renewables/Electricity
Rules & Regulations
Participation available to SNAME student members only*.
* If non-members are interested in participating in the contest, they should contact Sofia Iliogrammenou, Director of SNAME European Office
- Up to 4 teams comprising up to 5 students each.
- Preparation under coach supervision; A coach can provide students with material, host meetings and assist with preparations. However, he cannot address the symposium.
- You can register your participation as an individual or as a team. Final team formation however, will be decided after the registration deadline.
- A 5-member committee (50% of total grade) that will be tasked to assess argumentation and methodology
- Onsite participants (50% of total grade
Grade System and Criteria
Ranging from 1 to 10 based on:
No discrimination should be shown against any solution
- Understanding of problem and technology
- Analytical skills and completeness of argumentation
- Delivery and presentation
Preparation & Presentation
- A 15-minute presentation for each team, followed by a question from each judge to each team (5 Questions per team).
- Judge will have one minute to read and explain the question; Each team will have 2 minutes to prepare its reply and 3 minutes to present it.
- Each reply should be delivered by a different team member.