SNAME Greek Section is pleased to invite you to its fifth meeting for the 2019-2020 season where
- Nikos Bekiaris, Manager of Performance & Data Analytics Department at Prisma Electronics S.A.
- Dr. Eleftherios Dedes, Technical Superintendent & Fleet Performance Engineer at Euronav Shipmanagement Hellas
- Stavros F. Papageorgiou, Operational Technology & Energy Manager at LATSCO Marine Management Inc., and
- Michael Servos, Head of Energy Efficiency at Minerva Marine Inc. will participate in a panel discussion on Energy Performance Monitoring.
The panel will be moderated by Dr. John E. Kokarakis
, Technical Director at Bureau Veritas Hellas S.A.
The aim of this is to cover the following topics:
Speakers' Names & Bios
- WHAT to monitor and WHY is it important? IS IT WORTH the effort?
- Areas that can be improved (propulsion, voyage planning, discharging, cargo heating).
- Results and comments about Scrubber and Thermal Efficiency of Engines (MAIN and AUX.).
- SCADA Systems, Big Data Management and Analysis (Methodologies/ISO 19030/Weather Routing)
- The myth of electronic engines and the need for their performance evaluation.
- Sampling, tuning, optimization.
- TIER III SCR technology vs. Thermal Efficiency.
- Importance of sensors.
- Methodologies of utilization of data analytics & management to trace faulty sensors, procedures and malpractices to have a holistic check of vessel’s equipment / engines’ performance.
- Lessons learned and experience.
Nikos Bekiaris is a graduate from the Hellenic Naval Academy with postgraduate studies in M.I.T. where he obtained the Master of Science in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, and the Engineer’s degree in Naval Engineer. After 8 years of service in the Hellenic Navy as an engineer officer in different types of naval vessels up to the rank of Chief Engineer, as well as another 10 years in Navy’s Technical Base and Navy’s newbuilding program in Elefsis shipyard, on 2013 he resigned with the rank of Commander. After his resignation he worked in different shipping companies as Superintendent Engineer and Performance Engineer. Currently is working at Prisma Electronics S.A. as manager of the Performance and Data Analytics department.
Dr. Eleftherios Dedes graduated from NTUA in 2009 compiling his thesis at the Laboratory of Marine Engineering. Studying under 3 scholarships, he received his PhD on the subject of Hybrid Power Systems for Diesel powered Ships in 2013 from Southampton University UK, subject research is available at relevant journals. He has large experience in Ship Energy Efficiency, from hull performance up to troubleshooting/ tuning Marine Engines. For the last five years he works for Euronav Shipmanagement Hellas, as Technical Superintendent and is responsible for a fleet of 4 VLCC and Suezmax tankers and as performance specialist for sea trials, machinery optimization and other energy related complex cases.
Stavros F. Papageorgiou studied Physics in Athens, where he received his Bachelor’s Degree (BSc) from the University of Athens and he holds three Master’s Degrees (MSc): I) in Electronic Physics from the University of Athens II) in Space Science & Technologies from the National Observatory of Athens III) in Banking & Finance from the University of Piraeus. Currently, he is a PhD Candidate in Physics at the University of Athens.
He has worked in Telecommunications and IT Industry. Also, he has worked as a researcher at the National Observatory of Athens and has participated in several research programs of the European Space Agency (DEDICAtE, LIVAS, iSpex etc). Since 2017, he has been working at Latsco Marine Management, responsible for the fleet's Operational Technology Systems & Energy Management. He is an active member of:
I. the Hellenic Society of Physics
II. the Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
III. the Federation of Telecommunications Engineers of the European Community (FITCE)
IV. the Greek & European Association of Acoustics (HELINA, EAA)
V. the International Council of Combustion Engines (CIMAC)
VI. the INTERTANKO’s Performance Monitoring Working Group (ISTEC)
Michael Servos serves since July 2018 as Head of Energy Efficiency at Minerva Marine Inc. His function covers emission reduction projects, technical and operational aspects of fuel efficiency for new and existing vessels, and regulatory compliance for emission related issues. Between 2014 and 2018 he served as Energy and Environmental Manager at Tsakos Columbia Shipmanagement S.A, where he established and led the company’s Energy and Environmental Department. From 2011 to 2014 he worked for ABS as a Senior Vessel Performance Analyst being a member of Operational & Environmental Performance Department in Athens and in Copenhagen, providing assistance and guidance to ABS clients to issues related to vessels’ performance, energy efficiency and environmental regulations. From 2008 to 2011 he was occupied at Alpha Marine as technical advisor/consultant where he conducted various types of surveys and audits including environmental compliance audits & shipboard energy audits. At the beginning of his career was he was actively involved to a number of ships’ repairs and conversions as freelancer. He has been active at Intertanko, BIMCO and ISO working groups on issues relevant to energy management, hull and propeller performance, hull cleanings, etc. Michael received his M.Sc. in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens.