When it was first created, the Student Steering Committee (SSC) was tasked with organizing and running the Student Congress, held during the SNAME Maritime Technology Conference and Expo (a.k.a. SMTC&E or the SNAME Annual Meeting). The Student Congress quickly became a great success and caused the SSC to expand the student activities offered at SMTC&E. The SSC now oversees an entire SNAME Annual Meeting Student Program.
The SSC realizes that an annual Student Program is not enough to foster active student participation. As such, we have expanded our present and future plans to include the following:
• Creating an open means of communications with Student Sections and student members
• Keeping students informed of SNAME news and events – both locally and nationally
• Giving full support to current Student Sections, and encouraging the creation of new Student Sections
• Organizing new student programs and services to enhance student membership
• Continuing to represent student interests at all levels of SNAME